Teaching regulations for fall and spring semester
Maya’s School of Music and Performing Arts has continuous admission of students throughout the school year. Weekly or daily lessons are available in instruments and voice, and can be scheduled at convenient times throughout the day. Tuition for private lessons is prorated based on your start date.
The main admission times are August/September for the fall semester, and December/January for the spring semester. If students wish to start taking lessons later in the semester/ school year, this must be specified in the registration form. In case of start-up later in the semester, it may be more difficult to find teachers with spare capacity on the most popular days and times.
After registering, you will be assigned to a teacher within 1-3 weeks, if/when the semester has started. If the day/time/place of lessons you are given by the teacher is not suitable, and not in accordance with your wishes stated in the registration form, the school must be notified within 3 days. The student will then be assigned to another teacher.
Please state, in the registration form, all convenient days, times and localities for lessons, and please specify if there are days and times that are not suitable. Always state desired length of lessons in minutes.
The school offers individual lessons of 30, 45, or 60 minutes duration. We also offer group lessons, providing that two or more students register together for the lessons.
- If the student wishes to change the length of the lessons, this must be agreed beforehand with Maya’s School of Music and Performing Arts.
- The student may, during the course of his/her first three lessons, change to any other teacher he/she wishes, if other teachers are available. The school must receive such an application at last 7 days before you change teachers. Send an application by email to the school, and state your alternative choices of teachers. The school will then investigate whether the preferred choices of teachers are available at the desired days and times. Please specify all days and times that are convenient for you to take lessons.
- Lessons follow the school schedule and are given once or more times a week, after agreement with the school administration.
- There is no payment for lessons that fall on holidays or other public holidays, in agreement with the school. The school schedule with information on all holidays during the semester can be found on the school’s website.
- If you wish to take lessons during holidays, this must be agreed with the school administration beforehand. The school does keep open for example during the summer holiday in June, July and August, and provides lessons for most instruments a minimum of 8 lessons during the summer after agreement. See: Teaching regulations for summer school.
- Semester fees are calculated from the date of the first lesson. You pay for an agreed number of lessons each semester, starting with the agreed first lesson. The price will depend on the number of lessons, and on the form of lessons – individual or group lessons – and the duration of the lessons.
The fee is paid in advance, if not otherwise agreed with the school’s administration. A copy of the receipt for the payment must be shown to the teacher at the start of the first lesson.
The fee can be paid in two instalments. If it is more convenient to pay the fee in two instalments, this must be agreed in writing with the school.
NB: If a student no longer wishes to continue with the lessons, the school must be notified by e-mail. Otherwise the agreement between the student and the school is still considered to be intact.
- The teachers’ contract with the school doesn’t permit them to start their own business or someone else’s business with students that have been assigned to them by the school. If a student ends his/her agreement with the school, and resumes lessons at a later date with the teacher assigned to him/her by the school, the agreement between the teacher, the student and the school is still in effect.
- When a teacher resigns or goes on leave from the school, his/her students will be assigned to a new teacher or substitute at the school.
- All lessons must be agreed to with the school, and fees paid to the school. Registration must not be done directly with the teacher. Siblings, parents, friends and others who wish to take lessons with the teacher you have been assigned through the school, must register for lessons before the first lesson at the school website/registration form, or by calling the administration of Maya’s School of Music and Performing Arts.
- Students who are absent from scheduled lessons will not be reimbursed for the lost lesson/s.
- If the teacher is absent for any reason from agreed lessons, a substitute teacher will be provided by the school, or the lessons will be given at a later date, by agreement with the student/parents.
Students may bring their own notes to the lessons. The teacher may also give information about where to buy notes when you come for lessons.
Please contact the school’s administration if you wish to change or extend the lessons, or if there are any changes regarding days and times you wish to make.